Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Synchronicity... oui!




Some may call it coincidence but I say it's synchronicity all the way... I've mentioned it a few times here - 5 February On Rivers comes to mind. So sit back and enjoy this tale of synchronicity and serendipity...
On the 10th of June 2010 I came across a photographic exhibition that was on in Washington DC - Allan Ginsberg's personal snapshots of his beat poet friends. Wow, I would have loved to have seen that.
On the 27th of June, planning a then-imminent trip to France, I blogged about a second hand bookstore Comptoir de l'image that was on my 'non-negotiable drop-ins' list for Paris.
On the 17th of July I walked into said bookstore and the first, the first, book I saw sitting on top of a pile waist high blocking my tracks was:..... the book from the Ginsberg exhibition! Aah... It had my name written all over it. 
So here it is. And what a find. The photos are a fascinating - somewhat voyeuristic - insight into the lives of the beat poets. (Yes that is Lou Reed, second photo from top, left.) Love the handwritten captions beneath each image too. And of course, there's Jack.


No comments: