American trade mag Publishers Weekly has produced lists of its top 10 books of 2010 in the categories of fiction, poetry, romance, sci-fi, non-fiction, religion, lifestyle and children's books.
PW's overall Top Ten Books of the Year contains a mix of genres, some of which might be worth a read:
1. A Visit From The Goon Squad, Jennifer Egan
2. Freedom, Jonathan Franzen
3. Unbroken, Laura Hillenbrand
4. The Surrendered, Chang-rae Lee
5. The Big Short, Michael Lewis
6. The Immortal Life of Henriette Lacks, Rebecca Skloot
7. Just Kids, Patti Smith
8. Man In The Woods, Scott Spencer
9. The Lonely Polygamist, Brady Udall
10. The Warmth Of Other Suns, Isabel Wilkerson
Jennifer Egan's first-placed novel is about an ageing music producer and is described as 'unpredictable' and 'brilliant'. It's also earned some notoriety for containing a chapter written completely in PowerPoint.