Monday, February 14, 2011

The first step





I was excited after reading The Poetry Lesson because it meant I got to choose the magnificent Greek Constantine P Cavafy as my Ghost Companion. Andrei Codrescu's method is already working for me - opened up C.P. Cavafy Collected Poems and landed on this one. Aah the synchronicity....

THE FIRST STEP
The young poet Evmenis
complained one day to Theocritos:
“I have been writing for two years now
and I have composed just one idyll.
It’s my only completed work.
I see, sadly, that the ladder of Poetry
is tall, extremely tall;
and from this first step I now stand on
I will never climb any higher.”
Theocritos replied: “Words like that
are improper, blasphemous.
Just to be on the first step
should make you happy and proud.
To have come this far is no small achievement:
what you have done is a glorious thing.
Even this first step
is a long way above the ordinary world.
To stand on this step
you must be in your own right
a member of the city of ideas.
And it is a hard, unusual thing
to be enrolled as a citizen of that city.
Its councils are full of Legislators
no charlatan can fool.
To have come this far is no small achievement:
what you have done already is a glorious thing.” 

No comments: