Thursday, December 9, 2010

Art lit




How cool is this! Artist Francisca Prieto has created this literary artwork out of a dictionary of days gone by. Prieto was inspired to mix algebra, alaphabet and anatomy after poring over old copies of Encyclopaedia Britannica. A number of copper plates appear in the artwork along with an inscription dated 3 December 1811. 
As has been recorded on these very blog pages, it is only on the rare occasion that I will accept the act of folding the pages of a book.... For the purpose of art and the preservation of an encyclopaedia culture that has been (sadly) surpassed by the Google age, this is one such occasion!
The piece pictured is titled 'Between Folds/Encyclopaedia' Material: Encyclopaedia Britannica: or, a dictionary of arts, sciences, and miscellaneous literature. Third edition, Volume I - Part I, Edited by Colin Macfarquhar; printed for A. Bell and C. Macfarquhar, 1797.
I want this in my house.



No comments: