Monday, August 23, 2010

Literary List Week...

This week is Literary List Week on Rubyfire Writes. Cyberspace seems to be full of people making lists - top 50 this, top 20 that, top 3-gazillion something else - so I've been stashing away a few literary lists for your reading pleasure. 
To get you in the mood, take a look at this Huffington Post selection: Nine of the Most Amazing Bookstores in the World. I'm excited to say I can cross three of these off my list of yet-to-see shops and, happily, add to my 'holiday' list an additional six destinations.
In 2008 The Guardian named Selexyz Bookstore in Maastricht, Holland, the best bookstore in the world. This heavenly store is located inside a refurbished Dominican church that dates back to 1294. Wow.
El Ateneo in Buenos Aires, Argentina, was once a theatre named The Grand Splendid (which, in 1929 premiered the first ever movie with sound).
A homegrown entry - Gould's Book Arcade in Sydney, Australia. Bob Gould started selling books in the inner west suburb of Newtown in 1967. Bob has over a millions books and records to sell either in the store, in storage or on line.
'Amazing' means different things to different people. I could add a few, perhaps more humble, bookstores to the list. You tell me yours and I'll tell you mine...!

No comments: