Friday, June 18, 2010

A little alliteration...

Ever wake up in the morning with a song in your head? This morning I woke up with a poem in my head. A verse spinning around sing-song inside my mind. Specifically, a verse from The Rhyme of the Ancient Mariner, Samuel Taylor Coleridge.
And as a song stuck in your head is passed from one to another by singing a few simple bars, let me pass on to you this verse, because I love a little alliteration in the morning...
The fair breeze blew, the white foam flew,
The furrow followed free;
We were the first that ever burst
Into that silent sea...
I'm also reminded of a few lines from another favourite, totally different poet, Banjo Paterson. From The Wind's Message:
Oh! rocky range and rugged spur and river running free
That swings around the sudden bends in swirls of snow white foam...
Ah beauty... Happy Friday.

No comments: