Monday, March 29, 2010

Luscious libraries

Handelingkamer Tweede Kamer Der Staaten-Generaal, The Hague, Netherlands
Rennie Mackintosh Library, Glasgow School of Art, Scotland
Real Gabinete Portugues De Leitura, Rio De Janeiro, Brazil 


Wow! Check out these amazing libraries from around the world. Home to hundreds of thousands of treasured tomes and keepers of the literary faith, oh readers.
I reckon the image of the contemporary suburban library needs to be sexed up. It might help get people back into books. 
Who regularly visits their local library these days? Mums with kids; oldies looking for something to do; the odd student on a deadline? 
I plead guilty of neglecting my local library. I can't remember the last time I paid it a visit. Probably around the same time I last sent a fax. I resolve to visit libraries more often, they play a critical role in nurturing literacy in our communities and they deserve our patronage.
Manly Library may not quite have the history or grandeur of other, more striking bibliothecas, but any place dedicated to the humble book is hallowed ground to me.
If you've been to any awesome libraries I'd love to see a pic :)

No comments: